Friday, August 13, 2010

Little Nyonya

Lately, NTV7 replays the Singapore drama serial Little Nyonya. This is the first time I get to watched this drama. Seriously, it is a great drama featuring a touching peranakan story of Baba Nyonya heritage. Though it was just some beginning of the drama, it successfully depicts the peranakan culture like the marriage ceremony, peranakan architecture as well as Nyonya culinary arts. Thumbs up! Yeap!


Well, this drama with its peranakan dishes somehow remind me of my late grand mom, 阿嫲! Though she passed away when I was three, I can still remember her favourite dishes - mang kuang char, ong lai shui, ti bun shui - which are a MUST during special occasion. Not to add the kuih kapit, rempah udang, kuih bahulu and bubur cha cha. YUMMY! YUMMY!



This, then, lead me thinking of whether I am also a descendant of peranakan. Hmm... A peculiar question. Aren't you a hokkien? Well, that is what my dad and my grand pa told me. You are hokkien lang (people). Just that I am curious of that many peranakan culture shown by my late grand mom. Her usual clothing - baju kebaya and sarung (Sama as my Kor Po, who is my grand pa's sister). Her favourite dishes, mang kuang char, ong lai shui, ti bun shui, asam pedas and  lor bak, are all famous peranakan cuisine. Also, she used to call a guy, "Ah Ba" and a girl, "Ah Nya".

Do all these provide an answer to my question? May be. Somehow, someday, I' ll try to dig deep into my history and get to know more of my ancestor. Haha! Somehow... Anyway, isn't it wonderful how a drama can have influence on you? That is the power of a great drama, influencing you with its fantastic story plots, fabulous characters and pleasant scenery.

I bet you will never regret in watching this drama. It really brings back that good old memories long kept deep in your heart. To end my post, hereby I present you the lovely opening theme, 如燕 by Olivia Ong.

1 comment:

  1. Just have time to watch the drama! ^^ I like the culture~

    ReplyDelete